2020-2021 School Year
Addition of Transitional Kindergarten
Dear MHT Preschool Families and Prospective Families,
We know there are many options available to you in our area, and we are grateful that you have chosen or have shown interest in Most Holy Trinity (MHT) Preschool for your child or children. For those of you who are currently enrolled in MHT Preschool, we are grateful for your patience throughout this challenging time as we have worked to implement a distance learning program to continue to serve your child or children.
The extraordinary events caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic have impacted all of us in many ways. We have had to make difficult decisions to suspend Masses, in-person classes, and events. Many in our community have suffered from the disease itself, from isolation, and from a lack of work. This unprecedented reality requires that we make difficult decisions to ensure the future financial stability of our school community.
With uncertainty surrounding regulations from Community Care Licensing for preschools for the 2020-21 school year on student/teacher ratios and student health in the face of COVID-19, we will delay the opening of MHT Preschool until January 2021 at the earliest. However, beginning next year, we will offer a transitional kindergarten (TK) program for students who meet the following age requirements:
- 4 years old by September 1, 2020
- 5 years old by September 1, 2021
Our transitional kindergarten will be the first year of a two year kindergarten program and will be officially part of MHT School. Tuition for TK will be the same rate as what is expected for K-8 students for 2020-21, the amount of $8,260 per student. Those who wish to apply for TK for 2020-21, can use the admissions tab link to apply. Please see the attached document that outlines the full TK program for 20-21.
Though difficult, this decision will not impact our ability to continue to serve our mission for the remainder of this school year: the sustained growth of your children and our community. As stated before, we hope to resume our preschool program in January of 2021 to serve children not eligible for TK. With that said, we understand you cannot wait to enroll your child in a preschool program. We are willing to help you find a place for your child or children should you need it.
Again, we at Most Holy Trinity Preschool and School are grateful for your partnership and commitment to our school community. As we continue to move forward with the grace of God’s strength, we remain committed to nurturing the well-being and learning of all of our children and families. Please continue to reach out to us for support or assistance.
What is Transitional Kindergarten?
A Transitional Kindergarten (TK) in a private school uses a unique, specialized curriculum based on kindergarten standards and is designed to support students who are 4 years old by September 1st. TK emphasizes both social-emotional development and academic readiness and foundations. TK is part of the Kindergarten program and is taught by teachers with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, Early Childhood units, and are in the process of earning a Teaching Credential.
Here are some reasons why MHT School will add a TK program:
- Unity with the rest of the school: A TK program will not be separated from the rest of the school in any way. TK students may attend morning assembly, have a "buddy class" relationship with students who can be role models for them, both of which are not possible under current licensing requirements. Furthermore, TK students do not need special permissions or face limitations in attending Mass or using any other facilities on our campus.
- Focus on academics: TK has a specific curriculum in the State of California that is designed to introduce students to all major Common Core standards for Kindergarten since TK is viewed as the first year of a two-year Kindergarten program.
- Social-emotional focus: TK students will have the same social/emotional and developmental focus as a four year old student would have in a Preschool setting.
- Continued great teaching: As a regular classroom teacher, the TK instructor is required to either be credentialed or be in process to be credentialed within five years of the date of hire. Being on the same schedule as K-8 teachers will allow the TK teacher to participate in all collaboration and professional development opportunities provided by both MHT School and the Diocese of San Jose.
- Dismissal options: All core instruction will take place from 8:05 AM to noon. During the course of the school year, families may opt for a noon pick-up if that suits your schedule better. However, tuition will remain the same, $8,260 per student, should you wish to pick-up at noon instead of the scheduled 3:00 p.m. dismissal time.
- Extended Care: TK students may go to regular Extended Care before and after school including participation in appropriate after school clubs, allowing the school to better support family needs in the area of childcare and supervision.
Please note, once again, that the age requirement range for TK students is 4 years of age by September 1, 2020 and 5 years of age by September 1, 2021. Therefore, if you have a child who is currently in our preschool program, they will likely meet the age qualification for TK as well.
Finally, I am very excited about this opportunity for our school. Just as we have traditionally had a terrific Preschool program, I know that we are well-situated to begin an outstanding TK program that will continue our mission to build a strong school community and strengthen the academic development of our students.
Feel free to reach out to me with any questions at 408.729.3431 or email@example.com.
Mr. Jamie McIntyre
Principal | Most Holy Trinity School
MHT Preschool QuestionsContact the preschool at 408.729.3431 ext. 469.